Wednesday 25 July 2012

Acknowledging the Small Things!





Hey everyone it's Christina here.  I've had some great accomplishments this past week and I can't wait to share them with you.


Staying Committed:
Last week I was a volunteer a summer camp that my kids attended. I'm happy to report, that despite a busy schedule and needing to be at camp for 8:30, I managed to do all of my workouts! In the past, this would have been a perfect excuse for me to miss a week of workouts. I would use any excuse I could to get out of exercise! Last week with help from others I was able to make it happen and I had the drive to do it!! I feel great accomplishment in that. I would be lying if I told you there wasn't a little voice in my head saying "oh this is just the honeymoon phase ... You'll hate it again" but I push those thoughts out as soon as I think them and enjoy it for what it is now. Enjoying it is key for me! I enjoy the way I feel, I enjoy the relationships I'm developing and I'm enjoying the energy and confidence I'm feeling! Thank you Coach Swagar for getting up early with me all last week and a special shout out to my amazing husband, Greg, who sacrificed 3 nights sleep so I could accomplish my goals.


Moving out of My Comfort Zone:
 I really got out of my comfort zone this past weekend! We had one of our best friends come to visit us from Toronto and she surprised us with tickets to go see Joe Rogan at the Jack Singer (he was in Calgary for the UFC fight and for those of you who don't know he's also a comedian ... I had no idea! Ha!). Let me tell you, it brought out an interesting crowd! Joe Rogan kicked 4 guys out from the stage for continually heckling him and as we were leaving the auditorium, there was a full on fist fight in the theater! It was crazy (remember I don't get out much so this was some craziness for me). So there are several reasons this got me out of my comfort zone. First, the show was at 10:30pm, I know that probably seems silly to list as getting out of my comfort zone but it was! Other than going to see Greg play with one of his bands once in a while, I am usually in my bed by 8pm. These past 6 years have been pretty routine so that was very different for me. Second, not knowing where we were going I wore a dress, it was a casual dress with a denim jacket but if I had known where we were going I probably would have worn something different. The accomplishment in that is even though most everyone was in jeans and t-shirts I felt totally comfortable in my own skin and that was a great feeling! Saturday night I went to see a movie that started at 10:55pm which again was totally not something I would normally do because to be totally honest, I've always been a pansy!!! It was great for me to do some things out of the ordinary for me and I feel better for it and worth the tired couple days that followed!


Feelings, not Numbers
Lastly, I've decided to take the scale out of my life for the next 3 months. This is big for me. I've always used the numbers on the scale to "track my success" or beat myself up for not doing well enough, so I'm going to focus on other ways to track my success. I'm going to use measurements, I'm going to pay attention to how my clothes fit, I'm going to listen to what others tell me and most importantly I'm going to pay attention to  HOW I FEEL!! When I'm taking care of myself by eating healthy, being active and taking time for myself, I will shed the weight I've been carrying for too long ! This is definitely different for me but I'm up for the challenge! I feel good about doing things differently than I have in the past and I think this will be a good change.


Accepting Change
 I used to be so afraid of change. Just 3 months ago I felt so helpless. I felt like I just had to accept what was and try to be happy with it. I wasn't really living and I wasn't taking care of myself. I know now that it's never too late to make changes! These small accomplishments I have each week are so freeing! I can honestly say I never want to go back to where I was. I know I'll come across road blocks along the way, but I also know I'll get past them and continue on this journey that will never be over and always changing ... Finally understanding that is the most freeing revelation of all!


Until next time! Christina

No comments:

Post a Comment