Friday 13 July 2012

CrossFit MOST Community: Aaron Johnson



What’s shakin’? My name is Aaron Johnson. 



Jenn and Dave have asked me to chat a little bit about life, living, and G rated loving on their Blog page for their new Crossfit Box. Crossfit MOST. That being said, please do not take anything I say as their words. They are being dreamt up in my noggin’, and therefore are my words. Although I do hope that they agree on some of it.

(There, my warning shots have been fired! Please take cover.)
I figured I would just start out quickly today by sharing with you how I met the Swagars. From there I will post randomly about the 3 topics mentioned above, and many of my personal experiences that I feel may give you a little insight on how to deal with them if you happen to find yourself in similar circumstances. So if you have any questions or comments, please do leave them, as I love feedback.

Okay, let us get this party started.

When people ask me what Crossfit is all about? Or what makes it so good? A few things rattle through my gray matter like an old trusty locomotive. Crossfit’s definition is one. “Constantly Varied Functional Movements, executed at high intensity.” “It is just F*@king awesome and honestly life changing.”  is two. Actually that is probably the first thingJ and just the way I like to speakJ (sorry if it offends you) And the list goes on and on. Anyone that knows me, or has even met me for that matter, quickly finds out that I love to chat, and tend to let one story lead into another with no real direction of where it first was intended. I think that it is caused by my mouth starting to talk before my brain has had a chance to react, or even process what I am saying. Point proven.

Anyhoo. Of all the things that go choo chooing through my brain, the one that sticks out the most to me, and probably why I hold Crossfit so close to my heart, is the community. You will here it again and again from everyone that is involved with it. Sure it is a fabulous way to stay in shape and maintain a healthy body for years to come. And sure it has a competitive outlet with the Crossfit Games side of things, if that is something you choose to do. But the real meat and potatoes of it, or at least in my opinion, is the community.





As defined by Dictionary.com

com·mu·ni·ty [kuh-myoo-ni-tee]
noun, plural com·mu·ni·ties.

a social, religious, occupational, or other group sharing common characteristics or interests and perceived or perceiving itself as distinct in some respect from the larger society within which it exists (usually preceded by the ): the business community; the community of scholars.

This community is like extended family. I will dive into this whole “community” topic on another post, but wanted to use it as a segue into how I met David (Dave as I call himJ) and Jenn (Swags) Swagar. And their beauty of a family I might add.

Like most great relationships throughout life, my relationship with the Swagars has been very organic. From initially meeting Jenn at CFAI and then being introduced to Dave a short time after, our friendship has grown into something that is quite dear to me. Not only do we share the same passion for fitness and maintaining a healthy and balanced lifestyle, but also the same morals and values when it comes to life in general. That life is precious and helping people out is far more important than making a buck. That family and friends are the true treasures in life, and the moments that we can spend with them are what make this life worth living. That taking the time to improve someone else’s life, while expecting nothing in return, improves who you are and makes the world a better place. That time is precious, and to spend it doing things that are truly meaningful to you.

Since initially meeting both of them, I have “spent” many hours over a couple drinks and food (more food than drinks for sure!) Chatting about all sorts of topics that interest us, long boarding or going for a run with Dave, being educated on the human body and proper movement, or just having a good laugh over something that was funny and then realizing it is 2am and we all should be in bed. Perhaps that is why it was so funnyJ All I have to say about the time I have spent with them, is that is was “time well spent.”

Wishing you both, Dave and Jenn, all the best with your new box/business, and I feel privileged to be along for the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment